Saturday, January 15, 2011

Step 19 - Prep the Steering Box - an unnecessary step...

I purchased the Power Steering Conversion Box from Borgenson to update the steering - out of the box it was rusted, poorly finished and it showed signs of seeping fluid.


Rusted - right out of the box
I contacted Borgenson and asked if I could send the unit back for replacement - when I told them it was rusted they said 'no'.  When I told them it was seeping fluid they said 'sure'.  So I sent it back to them.  A week or so later, the same rusty box shows up with a note - tested to 2000 PSI - no leaks.

They did explain that the boxes are not new, the boxes are reconditioned using a machine process that apparently does not result in a box that is in the condition of the one presented on their website:  http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1511&cat=60&page=1

Thus I am stuck with a rusty box.  I can't deal with rust.  Off to the media blaster for an hour of rust killing.  Followed by some time with the epoxy paint.  Hopefully it works good and lasts a long time....

If you're thinking about picking one of these up, plan on investing a little time cleaning and repainting your "Re-manufactured modern power steering box".

After some glass-bead TLC


No comments:

Post a Comment